Spend Time Alone Without Spending Money
By Amy Silva
There are those who love spending time alone and those who would rather spend their time amongst others. For the latter, being alone can be upsetting after boredom sets in. You may feel there isn't much to do when you're by yourself, and feeling unhappy and alone can put you in a rut that can be difficult to pull yourself out of. Staying busy and happy by learning to like your own company is the best thing to do when you have to be alone. A bonus of not going out with friends or entertaining others is that it can be absolutely free, which makes it that much sweeter.
Get Out of the House
Nature and exercise are both great ways to cheer up if you're feeling down. The best part is they can be free if you already have equipment or find activities that don't require anything but you. If the weather permits, go hiking, bike riding, or simply walk around the neighborhood. You can go window shopping or take a walking or driving architectural tour of a historic district nearby and notice the details that went into old buildings. Another thing to do is take photos of nature, buildings or other things that catch your eye. If you like to read, consider getting a library card or going to the bookstore to spend a few hours reading.
If You Have to Stay Home
Sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate with plans, sometimes a friend may have to cancel a planned night out and other times you may just not feel up to going anywhere. Whatever the reason is, don't spend the night upset, just make your own plans. There is plenty to do at home such as:
- Cook - Trying a new recipe using only ingredients you already have at home will teach you to be resourceful and you may end up creating a favorite new meal or dessert
- Watch a movie - Being stuck inside is the perfect time to catch up on your favorite series or watch a new movie
- Clean and organize - If you've been meaning to get rid of clutter or don't often have time to clean, this is the day to do it
Make it About Relaxing
- Take a long bath or shower
- Light candles
- Listen to music
- Take a nap
- Read books you already have or download free eBooks on an electronic device
- Try yoga or meditating
Your time spent alone can be fun, relaxing or productive. Be creative in coming up with ideas and have fun mixing it up to see how many free things you can do in your neighborhood or at home.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Gahanna, Ohio.