Pack Your Suitcase and Your Healthy Habits
By Donna Stark
Summer travel is the best! You finally get an escape from your work, your stress, and maybe even your children. Perhaps you are hoping to relax and recharge, maybe you are looking for an adventure or two, but no matter the reasons for your trip, there is no reason to leave your healthy habits back at home. So pack them up and bring them along! Hit that open road and check-in at your hotel, just don’t check-out of good health.
Healthy Travel Tips
Bringing a level of comfort and structure from home can make your trip and your body run a lot smoother. Don’t let your health suffer simply because you are away from home. Here are some tips that can help you relax, keep your fitness on track, and make your trip a success.
- Google before you leave - Find where the local markets and healthy restaurants are before you even get to town. Planning ahead will afford you more time by the pool and will keep you from making poor choices when your hunger takes over.
- Pack healthy snacks and water - The mini-fridge in your room is notorious for overpriced M&M’s and water bottles, so bring your own or hit a local store when you arrive. Save your money for what really counts … like the overpriced destination sweatshirts you will feel obligated to buy.
- Set up shop - Make yourself at home as soon as you get to your room. Unpack your clothes, place your toiletries in the bathroom, and hang that homemade card your little one made.
- Get fit and stay fit - Don’t forget to incorporate some exercise into your schedule every day. Sure, save some time to nap while listening to the waves, but add in a walk along the beach too. You can also head to your hotel’s gym, swim some laps in the pool, or head out on a hike. Just get out and move.
- Sleep well - Vacations may mean late nights and that’s OK, but just be sure to be mindful of getting some decent sleep as often as you can. Bring your favorite pillow from home, keep the energy drinks at bay, or turn on some white noise. Do whatever it takes to get a great night’s rest so you can start the next day running.
Fortunately, Healthy Habits are Mobile!
Packing a suitcase can be one of the worst stress-inducing activities to take part in. I often find myself packing things, then unpacking them, then turning right back around and putting them back in the bag. So little room for so many options, right? Luckily, your healthy habits take up little to no room at all, so pack them up and have a fabulously healthy trip!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Spartanburg, S.C.