Picking the Perfect Fitness Class Can Be Easy
By Donna Stark
Whether you're a gym rat at heart or are just trying to keep those extra pounds from sneaking back on you, exercise can quickly become an essential part of your daily routine. And since you have already snagged that gym membership (you have, right?), there should be nothing standing in your way or stopping you from achieving all of the goals you set out for yourself. But with that being said, are you taking advantage of all the perks that can be found at your gym? Have you checked out the schedule for classes?
Picking the Right Fitness Class
Sure, the thought of picking the right class may be overwhelming and confusing, especially with names like Body Massacre, Yogalates, and Extreme Sweat, but that shouldn't keep you from stepping outside of your comfortable box. Here are some tips on how to choose the perfect class so that you can reach all of your goals.
- Open your mind - Be open-minded to new things and try some classes before you rush to say "No." Who knows? You may end up liking something you never thought you would! It's important to remember that you don't always have to be good at something to enjoy it, and generally with fitness, when you like something, you stay motivated!
- Ask for recommendations - Ask your friends, ask the trainers, or ask those around you what they think of the different classes. You will be sure to get some honest feedback regarding the pace, intensity, and value of the classes you are interested in.
- Talk to the instructor - Before a class starts, talk to the instructor about your goals and expectations. Instructors who know you are new will help you decide if their class will get you the results you want. They may also adjust some of the exercises if needed until you are comfortable.
- Bring some friends - We all know the saying, "There is safety in numbers," right? Well, there is also success in numbers! Get your friends on the phone and invite them all to join you for that fitness class you have your eye on. It's a great way to find your motivation, hold yourself accountable, and feel safe while trying something new (because there is nothing safer than having your friends right by your side).
- Remember that you didn't sign your first-born child away - It's a class. Try it. And if, during the middle of the routine, you decide it really (and I mean really) isn't for you, just leave. This isn't an absolute thing written in blood, but if you do leave, make sure it's at an appropriate time.
You Can Do It!
Finding the perfect fitness class doesn't need to be as overwhelming and confusing as it may appear. By taking some simple steps that will help you step out of your box of comfort, you can easily achieve all of your health and fitness goals!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Brentwood, Tenn.