3 Ways to Boost Hydration
By Sara Butler
Staying hydrated is important to your overall health and wellness. In the heat, when you’re exercising, and really just as you move through your everyday activities, you need to stay on top of getting enough water. If you’re not, then you might find that you have headaches, dry skin, muscle cramps, sweet cravings, and reduced energy levels. Here are a few ways you can easily boost your hydration!
Get Your Liquids
When most people think of hydrating, they think of drinking liquids. But it’s not just water that will help you stay hydrated. The best sources of water for your body are:
- Water - Of course! Every cell in your body needs water to function, which makes it pretty important
- Coconut water - Coconut water can keep you hydrated and also adds electrolytes such as magnesium, calcium, sodium, and potassium into the mix; that makes it a great post-workout drink and a good thing to drink if you’ve been sick
- Hibiscus tea - This tea has received some attention recently since it’s been linked to lower cholesterol and blood pressure; it’s also naturally sweet
You can also get water from eating fruits and vegetables. The USDA suggests that you get five servings of fruits and vegetables per day. There are certain vegetables and fruits that have a very high water content, so eating them helps you to stay hydrated too. Consider adding these fruits and vegetables to your diet to help you get enough water:
- Iceberg lettuce
Also keep in mind that fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants, which better help you to achieve optimal health and wellness by protecting your cells from damage.
A Few More Tips
To help you stay hydrated, here are a few more things you should remember:
- Drink in the morning - Before you even start to brew your morning coffee, drink a glass of water; this helps to replace fluids you may have lost during sleep and sets your body up for the day
- Sip all day - Have a water bottle with you throughout the day and make sure to regularly take sips; aim to drink all day
- Quench your thirst - When you’re thirsty you should drink
It's very important to stay hydrated for your continued health and wellness. Follow these tips and you're well on your way to hydrating like a pro!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Richardson, Tex.