Chiropractic for Neck Pain
By Amy Silva
When dealing with a literal pain in the neck, a chiropractor can help provide relief as well as find the true cause of it. Some pains can resolve quickly but others can take longer to heal, or may be permanent if it's related to a health condition. Cracking your neck on your own isn't always a safe option, especially if you're attempting to ease pain without knowing what's causing it. Chiropractors may provide relief to get you back to feeling yourself faster than ignoring the pain or dealing with it on your own.
Causes of Neck Pain
- Posture - You can feel discomfort in your neck if you sleep in a certain position or lean your neck forward while sitting at the computer or on the couch while using your phone
- Injury - An injury while exercising or playing sports can cause neck pain, as can pulling a muscle or ligament by turning your head too quickly or getting into an accident
- Health conditions - There are many health conditions that can cause neck pain, but some include various types of arthritis, having a herniated disk or osteoporosis
How Chiropractic Care Can Help Neck Pain
Seeking chiropractic care for neck pain can provide insight for what's causing it. A chiropractor may be able to provide relief with manual manipulation or by using other techniques. They can also give you tips for how you may be able to prevent it from occurring in the future or ideas for how to ease pain at home. There are different treatment options depending on whether your issue is acute or related to a chronic health condition that may be recurring or progressive.
Tips for Preventing Neck Pain
- Habits - If you frequently talk on the phone, hold it with your hand instead of your shoulder. Keep your head and neck in a natural position while on the computer or using your phone.
- Posture - Be mindful of your posture while sitting and sleep in positions that don't make you wake up with neck pain. Consider buying a pillow made for the position you sleep in the most often.
- Stretch - Take breaks to stretch if you spend a good portion of the day sitting. If you feel the need to stretch your neck, do it gently to avoid discomfort.
Not all neck pain can be prevented, but there are things you can do to lower your chances of it happening. A chiropractor may provide relief and tell you ways you can help yourself at home. The chiropractors at The Joint are open evenings and weekends for your convenience, and no appointment is necessary.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in San Antonio, Tex.