Your Walk Doesn't Have to Be Boring!
By Donna Stark
You’ve been told over and over again that a moderate amount of exercise each day is enough to maintain good health. So that’s what you’ve been doing and you’ve got your whole walking routine down. Some days, you take advantage of the cool morning breeze and walk as the sun rises. Other days, you wait until evening and enjoy that walk with your family. It doesn’t really make a difference when you walk, because no matter the time of day, you are still hitting your step goals and are seeing the benefits. There’s really nothing to complain about, but after months of doing this, you’re starting to feel that it’s getting, well … a little boring.
It’s Time to Be Challenged Again
It’s great that you have made actual gains by adding just a small amount of exercise to your routine each day, and walking is one of the healthiest workouts to choose. But sure, if you always use the same route and pace, it can get old pretty quickly. Don’t lose your initial motivation to work out simply because you are getting bored. If you want to continue walking, but would like more of a challenge, consider adding the following to your daily walks.
- Add weights - Carrying light weights while you walk is a great way to add some extra “work” in your workout. The extra weight will help you burn more calories and tone your muscles.
- Pick up the pace - Challenge yourself by picking up your speed during parts of your walk. You can do this by distance (every other block or every third lap) or by time (after every 15 minutes, speed up).
- Choose a tougher route - Instead of walking around your flat neighborhood, find an area with hills, stairs, or if you are lucky enough to live near a beach, sand to walk on. Keep your speed the same as when you were walking in your neighborhood and watch those calories burn off!
- Walk to a fitness course (or create your own) - Many towns now have fitness courses along trails where there are certain exercises you can complete during your walk. If your town does not have one, create your own! All you have to do is stop at certain points to do some squats, sit-ups, pull-ups, lunges, or burpees. You may be surprised by how hard this can actually be. It’s a great challenge to add!
- Go on a walking tour - This may be the most fun option! Check with your town or a neighboring city for walking tours and head on out for a new experience, a little bit of history, and a whole lot of walking. I have done several food and historical walking tours and they have been a blast!
So what are you waiting for? Grab some friends who are up for the challenge too and build on your workouts. Life, and your fitness routines, are only as boring as you allow them to be, so find some ways to make things interesting!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Bellevue, Wash.