Healthy Skin for the Fall Season
By Donna Stark
It's that time again. Time for another seasonal transition as we move from summer and head into fall. Pretty soon we are all going to be pulling out our warmer clothing and ordering everything pumpkin spice at the local coffee shops. But let's not forget some of the other transitions we need to make during this time of the year, things like the health of our skin. Did you know your skin is the body's largest organ and that a change in seasons can wreak havoc on it?
Weather Affects Skin Health
You need to be on top of your skin game when summer weather changes to sweater weather because both the temperatures and humidity levels begin to drop. And in some locations across the country, those drops happen very quickly. What does this mean for you? Great question. Take a look at how colder temperatures and drier air can affect your skin.
- Your skin has to work harder to maintain proper hydration
- Dry air can lead to uncomfortable and painful conditions, such as rough, red, scaly, and itchy skin
- Cracks are more likely to form which can lead to infection and inflammation
Lifestyle Changes Affect Skin Health
In addition to the weather changes during this time of year, your lifestyle changes may have a negative effect on your skin too! Are you one of those who love to take a hot shower on a chilly morning, are you already cranking up your heat, or have you taken your workouts outside now that the temperatures have dropped? If so, keep an eye on your skin because all of those habits can dry it out!
Steps to Protect Your Skin
Just as you take the necessary steps to switch your clothing out and keep your house warm, you need to take steps to protect the health of your skin, so start planning for a new skincare routine. Here are some easy changes to make that will help your skin weather the new weather heading its way.
- See a skincare expert or dermatologist for a personal daily routine
- Avoid soaps and cleansers that strip your skin's natural oils
- Choose moisturizing cleansers with natural ingredients
- Make sure your body and facial lotion is hydrating to your skin
- Continue to use sun protection
- Wear protective clothing
- Invest in a humidifier for your home
Enjoying the Cooler Season
Pumpkin spice, sweaters and boots, and great skin! Yes, that's right, as long as you follow the simple steps above, the condition of your skin can be great during the fall season. So head outdoors and enjoy! It's too beautiful not to.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Avondale, Ariz.