Maintaining the Benefits of a Chiropractic Adjustment
By Donna Kostiew
You just washed your car, so of course you are going to avoid the puddles and dusty roads on your way home. Or you just got your hair colored, so you contemplate leaving the salon with arms full of hair products that are meant to take care and extend the color of your hair. These are just two simple examples that many people can relate to when it comes to prolonging the effect of something that is important to all of us. So if we do it for our cars and possibly for our hair, then it should be a no-brainer to do it for our health, right?
When we are hurting and we visit a chiropractor, the end goal is usually the reduction or elimination of pain. Your chiropractor can help you reach that goal with targeted adjustments which allow your body to heal itself naturally. But the healing doesn’t stop at the exit door when you leave. Just like your car after the car wash, or your hair after the coloring, there are certain steps to take to extend the benefits of the adjustment that you just received.
How to Avoid the “Puddles” After an Adjustment
Taking care of your adjustment isn’t just your chiropractor’s job. You also have some responsibility for the care of your body so that your spine can retain its proper position and maintain the benefits from the chiropractic treatment. Here are some suggestions to follow immediately after your adjustment.
- Do not move too quickly or make any sudden movements with your neck and back
- Have patience and give your body time to settle and adapt after the adjustment
- Avoid strenuous exercises and activities following your treatment
- Drink plenty of water
These suggestions are great to follow for the immediate care after an adjustment. But whether you are getting adjustments to maintain optimal health or getting them for pain relief, practical wisdom should always be carried out during the time between your visits as well.
Clean Car, Beautiful Hair, and a Perfectly Adjusted Spine
Keeping your spine in the proper position enables you to live a healthy, pain-free, and productive lifestyle. So between your adjustments, keep the following in mind.
- Do not strain your back by lifting heavy objects
- Lift weights safely - do not force your body into unnatural positions
- Exercise – keep your body in motion
- Drink plenty of water
- Take a break from computer use every 20 to 30 minutes
- Try to make your office/desk ergonomically friendly
- Make smart decisions about your footwear
- Choose firm mattresses and pillows that offer support
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach
It may seem like a lot of work to keep your spine in its optimal position, but not much more than driving around every puddle or pothole in order to keep your car in optimal condition. As for the hair color? Splurge on the extra products … they really do help.
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Gilbert, Ariz.