Cucumber Water Isn't Just for Fancy Spas
By Donna Kostiew
It used to be that you would only find cucumber water at fancy spas, but that is no longer true because this healthy and invigorating beverage is becoming more popular to drink at home. And why shouldn’t it? It’s delicious, easy to make, and although it may not seem like your automatic “go-to” for improving your health, it certainly delivers a number of surprising benefits.
What is Cucumber Water?
Cucumber water is a refreshing and unique twist on the plain old average glass of water. It is exactly how you would imagine it … water that is infused with cucumbers. The infusion process is simple, just add cucumber slices to a pitcher of water and let them soak. And although this may sound overly simple, it is during this process when the active ingredients of the cucumber infuse in the water. It’s a great way to add a subtle flavor to your water and to boost your overall nutrient intake.
Simple and Easy to Make at Home
Making your own cucumber water couldn’t be any easier … you only need two ingredients!
- Clean and slice a cucumber
- Fill a pitcher with cold water and add the cucumbers.
- Add ice to keep the cucumbers submerged
- Allow to sit for at least 10-15 minutes before drinking
- Discard cucumbers after 24 hours
Cucumber water is not only great for hydration, it’s a perfect option for those who don’t like drinking water on its own. And on top of that, it has so many health benefits as well!
Benefits of Cucumber Water
- Skin care – Cucumbers contain a number of antioxidants that can help with the appearance of your skin by reducing wrinkles, age spots, and blemishes. Drinking plenty of water also helps your body to flush out toxins, which is an important factor in maintaining a healthy glow.
- Weight loss - If you’re trying to lose weight, drinking water throughout the day will help keep you feeling full. And since cucumber water has that subtle flavor, it can help make replacing the sugary beverages and unnecessary snacking a lot easier, which will cut some serious calories from your diet.
- Heart issues/blood pressure – Cucumbers are a good source of potassium which is important to our bodies because it is vital for overall health. Potassium helps to regulate the amount of sodium held by our kidneys. Too much salt in our bodies contributes to high blood pressure, so by regulating the amount, blood pressure can be lowered and the risk of heart attacks and strokes can be reduced.
- Cancer - Some research suggests that cucumbers may help in the fight against cancer. Along with powerful antioxidants, cucumbers also have certain nutrients which have been shown to play a role in protecting us from certain cancers.
It’s time to take a cue from all of those fancy spas and treat yourself to a little bit of luxury … the luxury of good health that comes from a glass of water with cucumber slices floating in it.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Mesa, Ariz.