Important Message from The Joint Chiropractic regarding COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) - Read More

Is Your Home Toxic?

By Sara Butler

Your home is supposed to be a safe space where you can go and not worry about what may be lurking around the corner. You certainly don't expect your home to be toxic, but the truth is that there may be things in your home that can make you sick. If you feel sick whenever you're at home or at work, it may mean you're sensitive to toxins hiding around you. Here are some of the biggest toxic offenders you must be on the lookout for.


Many people are sensitive to mold. If you are one of them, it can cause symptoms such as:

  • Coughing
  • Wheezing
  • Skin irritation
  • Nasal congestion
  • Throat irritation

If your office or home is in an older building that doesn't get adequate ventilation, has water or flooding damage, or you have a bathroom with no exhaust fan, then mold can grow rapidly. Be aware of your surrounds and be on the lookout for symptoms. In the meantime, keep your bathroom dry, fix leaks as soon as possible, and make sure to open windows each day -- even in the winter.

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)

If you've ever felt ill after being in a new car, or a newly constructed home, you may be sensitive to VOCs. VOCs are chemicals in things such as paint, new flooring, and new cars and can cause adverse reactions in some people such as:

  • Depression
  • Sore throat
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Itchy eyes

If you do find you're sensitive to these chemicals, it's important to air out your home whenever you paint or get new flooring installed. It also might be a good idea to shop for used cars instead of brand new ones since a used car will already be ventilated.

Perfume and Air Fresheners

Many people can be sensitive to the chemicals found in perfumes and air fresheners. That's because these things can have a mix of literally hundreds of chemicals in them and can cause symptoms in people such as:

  • Nausea
  • Breathing problems
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nervous system issues
  • Allergic reactions
  • Digestives problems

If this sounds familiar, the best piece of advice is to forego wearing any kind of perfume or using any scented air fresheners in your home.

Worried about the health of your home? Find out more by discussing with this with the chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic. They can help you get started living the healthiest life you can, free from toxins that can impact your continued health and wellness.

To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Queen Creek, Ariz.

Story Link

Download your offer today and save!

$29 New Patient Special, Consultation | Exam | Adjustment

Offer valued at $45. Valid for new patients only. See clinic for chiropractor(s)' name and license info. Clinics managed and/or owned by franchisee or Prof. Corps. Restrictions may apply to Medicare eligible patients. Individual results may vary.