Got a Minute? Here's a Recipe for a Better Day
By Sandy Schroeder
If you could, what would you add or subtract from your day? No fair deleting work, or early mornings. You could say stuff like, "Add a good run, and delete long hours."
If you can really almost see that ideal day, take a few moments to create your "perfect day recipe." You know, the one where nobody yells "Help, where are my shoes and my homework?" And your breakfast is ready when you reach the kitchen, thanks to an early-rising spouse.
Start With the Right Ingredients
- A good night's sleep
- Time for a few stretches with coffee
- A well-stocked pantry
- A bookcase in the front hall where everybody can leave their important stuff
- Healthy snacks to pack in everybody's totes
- Backup help for pick-ups and drop-offs at school
- Foods for an easy-to-fix healthy dinner
Mix in the Best Plans for the Day
- Work on the most key projects early in the day
- Make time mid-morning to do a quick walk
- Lunch away from your desk
- Time outside after lunch to exercise or relax
- Healthy snacks for a mid-afternoon boost
Finish off the Day in Style
- Head to the gym or pick up the kids and go to the park
- Fix a sit-down supper with everyone helping
- Sit down to eat with no phones and lots of conversation
- Add some time to read, play games, or just talk
- Enjoy a quiet hour before bedtime with baths and stories
- Squeeze in a few moments to just contemplate life.
On the Weekends Focus on You and Yours
- If you have to work, confine it to one day and spend the other day with your family
- Keep everyone active but not overloaded
- Make room for kids' sports
- Try wilderness hikes or family biking
- Learn a new sport with your kids or teach them one of yours
- Stay in touch with friends and relatives with sit-down suppers or potlucks.
Review the Week - What Went Right or Wrong
- Review your calendar to plan the month ahead
- Build in some personal and group getaways for everyone
- Pull together details, shopping lists, checkups and other appointments
- Replace errors with new approaches
Everybody's different. Your perfect day, week, and month may have a lot more travel, fun outings that your family treasures, or special meals that everybody waits for. Give it some thought and then make it happen!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in.Chula Vista, Calif.