Blueberry Pies and More!
By Donna Stark
Are you craving an extra treat this week? Do you wish you could satisfy your sweet tooth while also delivering a powerful punch of nutrition to your body? Well, you can and you don't need to look any further than the blueberry section at your local grocery store. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K, and are one of the most versatile berries to cook, bake, and snack on. In fact, there is no better time than now to head on into your kitchen and start baking with them because National Blueberry Pie Day is at the end of this month!
Blueberry Pies and More
Are you ready to enjoy those plump blue bits of goodness? You can certainly go ahead and whip up a flaky, buttery crust to celebrate National Blueberry Pie Day this week, or you can use those pints of blueberries for other uses in your diet too! Here are a couple of suggestions on how to add more blueberries to your days.
- Add them to your morning smoothie
- Top your oatmeal or cereal with a handful
- Bake them into muffins, bar, cookies, or scones
- Toss onto your salads
- Make homemade jam
- Sprinkle some on top of your ice cream or yogurt
- Snack on them naturally
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries aren't only sweet and delicious. They are extremely nutritious, low in calories, and incredibly good for you too! Take a look at a couple of the health benefits that you can look forward to by incorporating more blueberries into your diet.
- Disease - The antioxidants found in blueberries help to lower blood pressure and neutralize some of the free radicals that can damage your DNA. This can aid in the fight against heart disease and cancer.
- Cognitive skills - Blueberries support good brain health and function. They help to improve memory and sharpen cognitive skills, while also reducing the risk of mental decline.
- Athletic performance - Like a good workout? Don't forget your blueberries! Blueberries help reduce muscle soreness and fatigue, and have been shown to accelerate muscle recovery after exercise too!
The Perfect Fruit
You can't go wrong by choosing blueberries at the store. They are incredibly healthy, nutritious, and convenient. They also help boost the health of your heart and brain while providing many other benefits to your body! But the best part about them is their flavor. Whether you purchase them fresh or frozen, you are sure to get that sweet treat you have been craving for! So, go ahead and grab some today, then start baking. National Blueberry Pie Day will be here sooner than you think!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Sacramento, Calif.