Cool Breakfasts for Cool Kids
By Donna Stark
The bane of my existence. Many of us have used that term before while describing something that is so completely annoying or difficult to get through. My phone’s autocorrect and the office project that I have been working on for months have become the bane of my existence. Want to know another one? How about the act of getting the kids off to school on time and with food in their belly every day? It’s a struggle, and since they won’t skip the makeup routine, the straightening of their hair routine, or the multiple outfits try-on routine, breakfast is usually the thing that gets pushed to the bottom of their priority list, unfortunately.
Breakfast Can be Easy
When kids (especially older ones) are running late, they are usually tempted to skip breakfast or grab something while running out the door. These choices aren’t the healthiest and oftentimes will not keep them satisfied throughout the morning. It shouldn’t be a struggle to get them to eat breakfast and it certainly doesn’t require a ton of time to eat nutritiously. And with the following suggestions, you may be able to entice your child to make it themselves and possibly even make something for you as well!
- Breakfast wraps - A great choice for ease and convenience. Make them ahead and pop in the microwave for a super nutritious meal that your kids will be sure to love!
- Microwave quiche - Grab some eggs, milk, cheese, bacon, and veggies, mix in a cup, and microwave for a couple of minutes. Don’t worry. Time won’t be wasted … they can check their social media while it’s cooking.
- Avocado toast - It’s hip, it’s yummy, and it’s literally the easiest breakfast ever. Add a fried egg on top and you’ll increase the deliciousness level tenfold.
- Peanut butter and jelly waffle sandwiches - Fuel their body with this healthy breakfast. Grab two whole grain waffles, peanut butter, some homemade jam and make an easy grab-and-go sandwich.
- Yogurt banana split - Who doesn’t like a banana split, especially for breakfast? Slice a banana in half, throw some dollops of frozen yogurt on top, then cover with granola, berries, and maybe even a few chocolate chips.
- Peanut butter banana wrap - Grab a whole wheat tortilla, a banana, some peanut butter, and a handful of chocolate chips. Easy breezy and packed with nutrition. They can even carry it out the door with them!
Don’t Let Your Kids Drive on Empty
You wouldn’t think of driving your car on an empty gas tank, so don’t let your kids drive their body without fueling up for the day first! Start their day off right by offering an awesome breakfast that has enough coolness to pass their test. And remember, if their day starts off better, yours may very well too. That’s important, because you still have that office project to focus on.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Denver, Colo.