Day-to-Day Ways to Find Stress Relief
By Sandy Schroeder
You may not feel like you need major stress relief in the midst of our crazy world, but a few more bright spots would not hurt.
Take a minute and think of the little things that you like. That perfect cup of tea in the afternoon, a fresh new plant for the patio, some soft jazz playing while you work.
The little things do count for a lot when each day becomes a new challenge and some days are totally maddening. They can help you keep your balance as you forge ahead and tackle the big projects, goals and demands.
I have my desk stationed near a glass patio door where I can see the hummingbirds swooping into the feeder, and watch the flocks of little yellow/green birds off in the bushes. Now I am looking for more potted plants that hummingbirds like such as geraniums or begonias.
Another quest on my list is calling all of those friends that I have allowed to drift off in the midst of the pandemic and treating myself to some shared conversations online or in person.
And then I want to reinstate my yoga class at home since the one on Friday's is not happening right now. The mat will land right next to my recumbent bike in the family room.
You get the idea. These can seem like minor things, but they can make a major difference in your attitude, energy and overall health and happiness. You may enjoy an upswing in your work performance and a deeper satisfaction at the end of the day.
What would you love to do right now?
- Browse your favorite bookstore
- Roam through Epicurious.com to find a new recipe for yogurt dips
- Treat yourself to a new omelet pan
- Take a watercolor or quilting class
- Just sit and chat with a lifelong friend
- Walk through your nearby park with your dog
- Watch your favorite mystery with your cat in your lap
- Watch the sun come up or go down
- Sit and read aloud with your child
- Sketch and write in your journal
- Send a weekly email to a very special friend who is out of state
We are all different. Whatever your little pleasures are they could make the difference in your day if you make the effort to indulge. Go ahead. The small amount of time and effort expended will be worth it. Promise.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Highlands Ranch, Colo.