Beating the Winter Blues
By Donna Stark
Winter can be such a beautiful and magical time of year, especially if you live in the parts of the country that showcase all of those stunning, snowy landscapes. Winter also brings us nights when the bad weather keeps us locked in our warm homes, sitting by the fireplace with loved ones and cups of hot cocoa in our hands. Could it get any better than that? Well, for some, it could. Because just as quickly as the weather changes, so does their mood. And it can be a fight just to get through those dark, cold days of the season.
Beating the Winter Blues
For some people, along with that glistening snow and rosy cheeks, winter also brings feelings of depression, decreased energy, and fitful nights of sleep. Fortunately, if winter is bringing more drear than cheer for you, there are some ways that you can combat that. Take a look.
- Grow an indoor garden - Gardening often has a therapeutic benefit to it, as it can help to lessen stress, lift your spirits, and provide mental clarity. There are many plants that grow very well indoors during the winters, but the easiest are herbs such as oregano, rosemary, thyme, and parsley.
- Learn to cook new recipes - Those cold winter nights can be made a lot warmer with a homemade meal and there's no better way to use those herbs you are growing than with a new creation in the kitchen! Now's the time to try those new recipes you have been dying to make.
- Join a book club - In addition to escaping the reality of the winter blast right outside your door, reading is also a great way to unwind, improve your memory, and stay mentally sharp. And by joining a book club, you get the chance to meet new friends with similar interests ... like the disdain you have for icy roads and frostbitten fingers.
- Invite the grandkids over - You may dislike those snowflakes outside, but how can you dislike the ones made by the sweet tiny hands of your grandchildren? There are so many crafts and games you can pull out with the young ones ... and who knows? They may even get you outside to build a snowman with them!
- Volunteer - Volunteering is a great way to get involved in your community, meet new friends, and stir-up old interests. When was the last time you volunteered? Do you remember how good it felt afterward? Well, it's not too late to get that feeling back!
Just a Few More Weeks
The end of winter is right around the corner but until then, get involved with people or passions. It will help those dark, cold days fly by a lot quicker! You may not love winter, but you will love staying busy!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Lakewood, Colo.