Saving Money While Losing Stress
By Donna Stark
We have all heard how damaging chronic stress can be in our lives and how we should try to eliminate as much as we can, but it can be very difficult to take those first few steps in the right direction, especially if we are set in our ways, can't it? That's why it is generally more beneficial to start with simple and easy, yet very realistic goals when tackling the things that bring stress into our lives. And fortunately, most of the stress in our lives can be tackled this way, including the biggest one of all ... financial stress!
Don't Let Your Finances Affect Your Health
If you are worried about your finances, you may want to know that you are not alone! Money touches nearly every aspect of our lives and is one of the biggest stressors that most people have to deal with. If serious enough, financial problems can set the course for unhealthy relationships, chronic medical issues, and deep depression. But your story doesn't have to end like that. If you are struggling and stressing over your financial situation, you need to take action now before it negatively affects your quality of life in the long run. Remember those small goals mentioned above? Well, here are some suggestions on how to start lowering your expenses, and getting ahead of your financial issues, one baby step at a time.
- Find a roommate if living alone
- Move close to work or find a job closer to home to save on gas or public transportation costs
- Skip eating out for lunch every day and pack your lunch instead
- Stop those expensive nights out with friends by offering cheaper alternatives
- Cut your cable bill by eliminating it or reducing it to a smaller number of channels
- Renegotiate your cell phone bill by asking for any available deals or offers
- Stop eating out by cooking more at home
- Reduce your grocery bill by sticking to a prepared list and utilizing coupons or your shopper's card
- Cancel all of those random memberships and subscriptions you have but are of little value
- Cancel your gym membership and challenge yourself to find other ways to break a sweat
Baby Steps to a Healthier Life
Reducing the stress in your life isn't something you should put off or wait on, so forget about saving it for a New Year's resolution. By making simple changes now, you can start living a happier and healthier life. And who knows? Maybe by the end of the year, you will have this problem completely taken care of and you can start the new year off on a stress-free foot!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Lakewood, Colo.