Finding Ways to Move When It Is Difficult
By Donna Stark
If you want to reduce stress, boost your self-esteem, and decrease the risk of serious medical conditions, it's vital that you exercise every day. But what if you are limited with how much you can do? And how are you supposed to exercise when it's difficult to move? Well, you may just have to be a little creative with your fitness routine because the benefits you can get from exercise are too important to ignore. Here are some tips from your favorite chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic!
Finding Ways to Move
No matter what level of physical activity you are capable of, there are always ways to keep your body in motion. Take a look at a few creative ideas below.
- Water workouts - Exercising in water is often recommended for those with disabilities or for those who suffer from joint and muscle pain. That's because the resistance from the water helps to cushion and lessen the impact and pressure on your joints. You can either sign up for an aquatics class or simply walk around the edge of a pool on your own. The type of workout you choose will depend on the severity of your issue.
- Stretching exercises - Yoga and Pilates are wonderful exercise options to consider when your mobility is limited because they can be done while standing or sitting. These two forms of exercise help to stretch, elongate, and strengthen muscles. They are also good for improving flexibility and range of motion.
- Strength training - If you are forced to stay in a chair, increasing your strength may seem difficult at first, but it's not impossible! Take advantage of free weights and resistance bands. Just ask a personal trainer or your doctor for suggestions on how to work around your limitations and be sure to lift safely.
Committing to a New Routine
Now that you got your exercises down, it's time to commit to a lifelong exercise plan! Here are some tips on how to achieve your goals.
- Find activities you enjoy doing
- Ask a friend or loved one to join you
- Schedule your workouts
- Respect your limitations and progress slowly
- Maintain a healthy diet and proper hydration
- Ask for advice from the experts
Reaping the Benefits
No matter how difficult it may be to exercise, the benefits you receive will make all of your time and efforts worth it. In addition to improving your mental and physical health, daily exercise will also help improve the quality of your life as well. So start thinking about all the different ways you can add movement to your days and get to it! You won't be sorry for doing so.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Melbourne, Fla.