How to Create a Smooth Transition Between Seasons
By Donna Stark
Cooler temperatures, colorful leaves, and all the fall flavors we could wish for are what we have to look forward to as the beginning of September rolls through. But don't forget, there are plenty of not-so-fun things that are headed our way too. Things like homework, chaotic mornings, and runny noses. So, before your family gets stuck in the crazy routine that comes with a busy schedule, take one last weekend to decompress. It's the perfect way to say goodbye to summer and hello to fall.
End of Summer Family Activities
Transitions can be hard but the hardest is probably the one that comes between the end of summer and the beginning of school. Help your little ones say goodbye to their favorite summer memories and give them something to look forward to with the following family activities.
- Scrapbook - You may not think it is necessary to compile your summer pictures because they are all downloaded (or is it uploaded?) in the cloud, but there is no better way to bond with everyone in the family than to design and create individual scrapbooks! Print your favorite pictures, buy some albums and stickers, and get busy! The trip down memory lane and the laughs alone will make it worth it!
- Forget the pool - Most community pools close on Labor Day but who said you need them to have one last hurrah with water? Turn on your sprinklers, fill those water balloons, and prepare the water guns. This may be your last chance to get wet before the temperatures become too cold!
- Cook together - Get everyone excited for fall by serving a fall-style dinner! Start with some of your favorite beverages, such as hot apple cider, hot chocolate, or anything pumpkin spice. Pull out your recipes for chili or stew. And don't forget dessert. I hear apple crisp and pumpkin pie are everyone's favorites!
- Prepare for school - Dealing with the fact that school is right around the corner can be made a lot easier if there are new school supplies and maybe some new clothes in the picture, so grab your kids and hit the stores!
- Relax together - Spend a weekend at home to relax before all the hustle and bustle of the new school year starts. Order takeout from your favorite restaurant, grab the board games, and rent a movie that everyone has been anxious to see. This is the perfect way to end one season and begin another.
Starting the Fall Season Relaxed and Prepared!
The key idea here is to use this time to your advantage. Creating beautiful family memories while transitioning between seasons is a healthy way to approach whatever lies ahead of you. The best part though, is that you get to do it with the ones you love!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Bloomington, Minn.