Health Goals Made Easy
By Sara Butler
Every single year, people start off with grand ideas about health goals they want to achieve. It’s great that people feel so motivated, but many people fail because they don’t know how to take action to move them toward meeting their health and wellness goals. Here are some common health goals people have and the action you can take to make them a reality.
Eating Less Sugar
Eating too much added sugar really can keep you from achieving long-term health and wellness goals. Reduce the sugar in your diet in some very simple ways, such as:
- Identifying foods with added sugar – Go through your kitchen pantry, freezer, and refrigerator. Then, throw out all the snacks that have a ton of added sugar. Cookies, cakes, and even foods such as granola have got to go!
- Write them down – Think of three snacks with no added sugar you can eat and be satisfied with. Also think of three desserts and three breakfasts without added sugar, then make sure you have ingredients on hand to make them.
- Don’t buy the bad stuff – Cookies, soda, and other foods loaded with added sugar have no place in your pantry, so don’t buy them!
If you want to exercise more throughout the week, then you need to make it happen. You should:
- Make a list – Write down the activities you enjoy and think of three activities you would like to try.
- Make a calendar – Incorporate a list of the things you wrote down that you like doing and would like to try, then schedule. Be specific and treat the exercise sessions you schedule as you would any other important meeting or appointment.
- See a doctor – If you’re new to exercise, then make sure you get the green light to try new things from your doctor or chiropractor.
- Create a log – Log your exercise each day. This helps you track your progress and will help keep your momentum going!
Improve Your Portions
Eating well is all about portion control. If you want to have a better handle on your portion, then you should:
- Drink water – Before you sit down for a meal or snack, drink a glass of water. This will help to keep you hydrated, which can curb extra snacking, and also help you to eat less at meals.
- Go crazy for vegetables – Of all the things you eat each day, you should eat more vegetables than anything else. Eat them before everything else on your plate too.
- Pre-portion your snacks – When you buy healthy snacks, portion them out in smaller bags. This can help you have more control over how much you’re eating.
You can reach your health goals if you know where to start!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Gahanna, Ohio.