Don't Let That Sore Throat Wear You Down
By Donna Stark
It seems like many people are either getting that last punch from the cold and flu season or are getting hit just as hard from allergies. The congestion, sinus pressure, and headaches are enough to wear a person down, but the worst symptom of all is that dreaded sore throat. I think it's fair to say that most people don't even think about the number of times that they swallow their food or drinks during the day, but when your throat is on fire and it feels like shards of glass are ripping it apart, you suddenly become very aware of how often you do.
Helping Your Sore Throat With Food
In order to fight sore throat pain, many people try to numb it with that yucky-tasting spray or they buy that famous little tin filled with sore throat lozenges. Sometimes those things help, but other times they don't, and it may leave sore throat sufferers looking for some new ideas. If you are one of those people, and you want to clear your sore throat up as fast as possible, take a look at the following suggestions.
- All-natural fruit popsicles/smoothies - Ice can offer immediate relief but aren't you bored with those tired, old ice cubes? Grab something that has a lot more flavor instead and choose all-natural fruit pops and smoothies to help calm the inflammation that is going on in your throat.
- Hot beverages - One of the best ways to soothe a sore throat is to simply drink some hot water infused with honey and lemon, or add some chamomile tea to it as well! By doing so, you can reduce the inflammation, alleviate the coughing, and get some quality sleep.
- Mashed sweet potatoes - Sure, you may not want to eat at all right now, but sweet potatoes are full of Vitamins A and C, which have been shown to support the body's immunity, and are packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Top with some cinnamon or honey and you will be good to go in no time!
- Oatmeal - Oatmeal is loaded with nutrients and are a great source of antioxidants, magnesium, and potassium, which can help to alleviate the soreness of your throat. And if you want to make it even more of a powerhouse, mash a banana in it or flavor it with some honey, ginger, and cinnamon!
- Eggs - Eggs are another great option to add in your diet when your throat is on fire. Because they are a soft food, they won't irritate your throat, but more importantly, the antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids can help to reduce inflammation.
Saying Goodbye to Throat Pain
Just because you are sick doesn't mean you have to forego good nutrition. Try adding some of these foods to your diet as soon as you feel a sore throat coming on so you can speed up the healing process and get back to feeling well in no time!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Parma, Ohio.