Nothing Sweeter Than a Sweet Potato
By Donna Stark
The colder seasons and the upcoming holiday celebrations are the perfect reasons to fill your meals with one of Mother Nature's most perfect foods ... the humble sweet potato. Sweet potatoes come in a variety of sizes and colors, and their flavor and texture make them extremely versatile, but it's the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber they provide that make them stand out from the rest! From appetizers to side dishes to main courses to desserts, this superfood should definitely be on everyone's menu!
Adding Sweet Potatoes to Your Diet
The best thing about sweet potatoes is how easy it is to add them to your diet. They can be enjoyed in both sweet and savory dishes, with or without their skin. You can bake, roast, mash, or fry them. Actually, it doesn't matter what you do because the result will always be delicious! Take a look at some of the ways you can enjoy this superfood.
- Sweet potato fries and wedges - Peel and slice into your desired size, drizzle some olive oil on top, coat with a dusting of salt, and bake until done
- Mashed sweet potatoes - Peel, boil, drain, and season ... it couldn't be any easier
- Baked sweet potatoes - Scrub clean, coat with olive oil, season with salt, and bake until tender
- Sweet potato hash - Substitute your white potato hash with sweet potato hash in the morning for increased nutrition
- Sweet potato soup - With just a few ingredients and a blender, you can sit down to an amazing bowl of soup
- Sweet potato pie - Shake things up and add a unique addition to your dessert table with a sweet potato pie
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Now that you have some ideas on how you can add more sweet potatoes to your diet, you may be wondering why it is so beneficial to do so. Well, wonder no more. Here are some of the reasons why sweet potatoes are great for your overall health and wellness.
- Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber
- Helps reduce the risk of certain cancers
- Supports healthy vision
- Improves brain function
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Helps regulate blood pressure levels
- Decreases inflammation
- Aids in digestion
Serve Some Sweet Potatoes Today
No matter how or when you decide to serve it, the versatile sweet potato offers a host of health benefits, so head to your local store and stock up! This nutritional powerhouse is simply too good to pass up.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Hillsboro, Ore.