Forget Your Tires, Balance Your Life!
By Donna Stark
You certainly wouldn't go on a road trip knowing that your tires aren't balanced and you wouldn't hit the mall without first balancing your bank account, so why is it so easy to go from day to day without living a balanced life? Admittedly, it's very easy to let that happen and it's also understandable when certain aspects of your day get pushed aside. But it's important to not let that become the norm because, if it does, you may lose the one thing that's holding everything together -- your health.
Areas to Balance
Finding and maintaining a healthy balance in your life takes a conscious effort on your part and involves more than simply eating balanced meals throughout your day. Sure, a balanced diet is vital to good health, but it's not the only key to a happy, healthy life. Let's take a look at some other areas in your life that certainly deserve some balance as well.
- Exercise - Regular exercise is very important to maintain overall health and wellness, but that doesn't mean you need to overdo it. For most people, around 30 minutes a day, or a couple of longer sessions throughout the week, is enough.
- Mental stimulation - In addition to keeping your body active, your brain needs daily challenges as well. Keep your brain young by reading, completing a puzzle, or playing a game with friends. You can also improve your memory while fitting in your exercise at the same time by dancing!
- Drink water - We all know that water keeps our body running smoothly and filters out all of the unwanted substances that seem to accumulate throughout the day, so be very intentional with getting your recommended amount.
- Stay social - Don't isolate yourself! Studies have shown that positive social interactions have tremendous effects on our health and happiness. So plan those get-togethers and venture out into the world to meet up with friends and family.
- Sleep - Aim for quality sleep and the right amount of it! During sleep, the body regenerates and heals, so it's important to not cut those hours short! Establish a bedtime routine and put the electronic devices away!
- Relax - Finding the time to unwind and relax is equally important as getting enough sleep, so do what you can to reduce your stress and slow down. Find a hobby that you enjoy or simply hang out with loved ones.
You can certainly skip the gym one night to take your wife out to dinner and that ice cream cone with your child is definitely worth it, but don't let those unhealthy habits turn into daily ones. A healthy and happy life is all about finding that perfect balance within all aspects of your life. It's what holds everything together.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Spartanburg, S.C.