Healthy Eating for All
By Donna Stark
The act of healthy eating isn't very hard at all, but figuring out what to eat can oftentimes feel quite overwhelming. It seems like everywhere you turn, someone is either drooling over the latest, trendy diet, talking about some impossible-to-get superfood, or criticizing exactly what you have been eating all your life. And let's not even get into all the supplements and protein drinks your trainer is pushing. Yes, figuring out what to put on your plate can be difficult, but here's some good news. Your local chiropractors have collected some easy-to-follow tips on how to create a nutritious, balanced diet that will do your body good. Take a look.
Eat a Variety of Foods
When answering the question of what a balanced diet is, we need to look at and consider a variety of foods. A balanced diet should include items from the following categories.
- Lean proteins - Lean proteins include turkey, fatty fish, chicken, lean red meat, beans, egg whites, and tofu
- Heart-healthy fats - Some good options of heart-healthy fats are olive oil, avocados, nuts, and seeds
- Complex carbohydrates - Yes, carbohydrates, such as starchy vegetables, brown rice, quinoa, and beans are good for you
- Fruits and vegetables - Try to fill your plate at least half-full with fruits and vegetables during meals
- Whole grains - From whole-grain bread to your morning oats to your side dish of rice, whole grains are the way to go
The amount of food you should consume from each category depends on your individual health and fitness goals. If you need help determining how much you should eat, ask your primary healthcare provider.
Avoid Processed Foods
There are a lot of ingredients in processed foods and the majority of them just aren't good for you. It's important to read labels and to only fill your grocery cart with foods that offer plenty of nutrition. Leave everything else on the shelf, no matter how tempting that may be.
Watch Your Portions
In addition to looking at the kinds of food you eat, you should also keep an eye on how much you eat throughout the day. Portion control is a big factor to focus on when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. It may serve you some good if you take the time to learn what the recommended size is for each serving of food.
Healthy Eating for All
Take the confusion out of eating! By following the tips above, eating healthily should become easier and easier to accomplish over time. Good luck!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Hermitage, Tenn.