Pay Attention to Your Posture
By Amy Silva
Bad habits can be tough to break, and some of us aren't even aware of the bad habits we have, such as bad posture. Our daily routines could cause discomfort in our joints, muscles and other parts of our bodies, and paying attention to how we spend our days and seeing a chiropractor may help reduce or eliminate pain altogether.
Pay Attention to Your Habits
Wanting to be comfortable while sitting is normal, but it can cause discomfort or pain in various areas of the body, not just the back. Sitting with your legs crossed, leaning your head and neck forward and slouching into your seat isn't good for your spine and it can take a while to break those habits. Other factors can affect your posture, such as:
- How you sleep - Sleeping in certain positions can cause discomfort, as can using the wrong pillow for your position and sleeping on an old mattress
- How you walk - Carrying heavy backpacks, purses or bags can make you shift your weight to one side of your body, which can cause back, neck, shoulder and even hip pain
- Where you work - Having a physical job where you're required to lift or carry products can cause pain if you aren't using proper form while doing so, just as having a desk job can irritate your back if you aren't practicing proper posture
How to Practice Proper Posture
There are many ways to sit, walk, stand and sleep that won't irritate your body or cause pain, some include:
- Avoid being tense - Don't hold your shoulders up while sitting
- Use the right pillow - Using a pillow between your legs if you sleep on your side may help avoid discomfort in the morning
- Lift with proper form - Exercising or working at a physical job means practicing correct form when lifting or walking while carrying excess weight
How Chiropractic Can Improve Your Posture
Your chiropractor can assess whether your posture is contributing to pain you feel throughout your body. Manual manipulation to adjust your spine along with other techniques may be used to help alleviate pain you may be feeling due to bad posture. They can also give you tips on how to improve your posture at home and work.
Not sitting with proper posture throughout the day can cause discomfort or pain in different areas of the body. It can take constant mindfulness to make a change, but it will be well worth it. Seeing a chiropractor may also help reduce or eliminate your pain altogether. See the chiropractors at The Joint for an assessment.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Fort Worth, Tex.