How Tired Is Too Tired?
By Donna Stark
Are you getting the rest your body needs? Are you able to be productive and enjoy your favorite activities? Or has your body been too exhausted to function as it should? Fatigue can really interfere with the quality of your life. It can affect both your physical and mental health, but in addition to that, it can also seep into the lives of your loved ones around you. It's important to know the signs when your body is tired and, believe it not, there may be more signs than you probably think.
How Tired Is Too Tired?
Everyone experiences a late night or a busy weekend here or there, and we all know that they can contribute to a less-than-productive day the day after, but those symptoms of tiredness are different than the ones you may experience when your body is chronically tired. Take a look at a few of the serious health issues that can arise when you aren't getting the rest you need.
- Increased levels of joint pain, headaches, and muscle tension
- Difficulties with maintaining your fitness routine
- Irritability, depression, and sudden changes in mood
- Poor or inconsistent appetite
- Increased levels of stress and anxiety
- Difficulty with focus and concentration
- Increased reliance on caffeine and energy drinks
- Deteriorating health
Giving Your Body What it Needs
Just like water and food, your body can not function without adequate and quality rest. If you notice any of the signs above, or feel that your body is seriously slowing down, you need to take the time and give it the rest it needs. Here are some tips on how to prioritize this area of your life.
- Aim for the recommended amount of hours for sleep every night
- Design a bedroom conducive to quality rest
- Stay consistent with your nighttime routine
- Set specific hours for work
- Take frequent breaks during your day
- Slow down or dial back the intensity of your workouts
- Incorporate rest days in your fitness routine
- Learn to say "no" to things that don't fulfill your life
Life is busy, we all get that, and unfortunately, it doesn't always allow us to do what is best for our body. It's easy to put our health to the side when "things need to get done," however, there will always be a price to pay when we do that. So take note of what your body is trying to tell you and give it the rest it needs. After all, it has put in enough hard work to deserve it!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Mansfield, Tex.