How to Spot Bad Workout Advice
By Sara Butler
The internet is a pretty amazing thing. It allows for the exchange of ideas and information that just 20 years ago no one thought was possible. But the internet has some downsides, too. If you’re surfing the web in order to find a new workout regimen, then avoiding bad information can be a challenge. Here are a few dos and don’ts to help you spot good and bad workouts!
The internet can be an excellent source of exercise information to help you get started – it brought you here, after all! There are a few things you should look for in a workout you find online:
- Clear visuals – A workout regimen that gives you clear and concise visuals of each exercise as well as descriptions is a keeper. If it includes tips for proper form, then it’s a must-do!
- Developed by professionals – Seek out exercise plans that have been developed by legit fitness professionals, not just some guy in his basement. Look for the right fitness certifications and accreditations or by respected and established fitness organizations.
- Look for alignment – You want a fitness regimen that works with your own personal goals and interests. That way, you’ll actually enjoy the exercise you’re doing instead of seeing it as your own personal version of hell.
Of course, just as there are things you should look for in a workout, there are things that if you see them, then you should pass it right on by! When looking at workouts, make sure you don’t:
- Pick a workout based on the physique of the person doing it – Sure, everyone would love six-pack abs, but if you pick a workout based on the looks of the person on the website, then you’ll likely be disappointed. That has nothing to do with the safety or effectiveness of the workout. Heck, it may not even be a workout that will help you meet your personal fitness goals.
- Choose a quick fix – Ay workout that makes exaggerated or false claims is one that likely won’t help you to reach your health and fitness goals. Don’t fall for fads or big promises!
Getting inspired by the internet is a good thing, but it’s also important to know what to look for you so you can stay healthy and meet your goals!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Sterling, Va.