Chiropractic Care for Winter Moments
By Donna Stark
The twinkling lights, the fresh layer of snow, and the beautiful holiday decorations make the perfect backdrop for something magical to happen this winter, but along with that magic, there is some bad news if you aren't being careful. The risk of pain and injury increases significantly with those favorite wintertime activities of yours. From skiing to sledding to snowball battles, accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, so you need to be prepared! Don't find yourself sitting in pain on your couch while everyone else is out enjoying what you want to be doing! With some routine chiropractic care at The Joint Chiropractic and your own preventative strategies, you can keep looking forward to a season filled with magical moments!
We are always at risk for an accidental slip and fall, but those risks increase as soon as winter makes its appearance. Take a look at some of the most common wintertime injuries that bring people in to see their local chiropractor. Can you see yourself in any of these scenarios?
- Slipping and falling on the ice, slush, and snow
- Straining your back or shoulders while shoveling snow and clearing ice
- Exacerbating your low back pain while pulling your child on a sled
- Injuring your joints while engaging in wintertime fun
It is difficult and nearly impossible to prevent every fall or injury, but there are several things you can do to keep yourself and your loved ones safer during the more treacherous days of the season. Check them out below.
- Clear the snow and ice from all walkways
- Wear shoes that have good traction
- Invest in removable shoe spikes if icy conditions are present
- Walk with intention and keep an eye out for black ice
- Use the proper technique for shoveling, lifting, and pulling
- Use the proper form when engaging in wintertime activities
- Carry a cell phone with you or at the very least, always let someone know what your plans are
Chiropractic care is something that should be included in your life throughout the entire year, but it is especially beneficial during the winter. Why? Well, the adjustments your chiropractor performs can help reduce the risk of wintertime injuries. Here's how they can help.
- Alleviates low back pain
- Eases muscle tension and strain
- Corrects joint dysfunction
- Increases range of motion and flexibility
- Improves balance, coordination, and stability
In addition to the benefits listed above, if you do experience a fall or get hurt while having some fun, chiropractic care can get you back into proper alignment and help speed the healing process of your injury. So, go ahead and find your magic this season, but remember to stay safe and see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic regularly!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Vancouver, Wash.