How to Deal with Morning Stiffness
By Sara Butler
When you first wake up in the morning, you probably feel a little stiff. This is an issue everyone deals with to some degree but when you have arthritis, stiffness can feel a lot more significant in the morning. To help you deal with morning stiffness caused by arthritis, here are a few tips from the chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic.
Why so Stiff?
So why, exactly, do you feel so stiff in the morning? It's thought that stiffness develops after long periods of inactivity because of the inflammation present in the joints when you have arthritis. When you sleep, your body doesn't release anti-inflammatory compounds as it does during the day. This can lead to elevated inflammatory compounds that can cause your joints to feel stiff and achy in the morning.
How to Deal With Morning Stiffness
If you have arthritis, it's a good idea to work with your chiropractor to help control the inflammation in your joints. Aside from that, there are a few things you can do to help relieve morning stiffness or even prevent it from not being so bad when you wake. You should:
- Adopt a sleeping position that supports your joints
- Use pillows as you sleep to help support joints
- Sleep in a room that is a little bit warmer or you heating pads or electric blankets to help keep your joints warm as you sleep
- Do some simple stretches before you get out of bed each morning
- Take a hot shower first thing in the morning to help your joints loosen
- After your muscles have loosened up, do a few exercises to help make them more flexible
- Relax when you go to bed at night by letting go of the stress of the day in an effort to reduce muscle tension
- Try to delay your start to the day as much as you can so you have enough time to deal with morning stiffness
Morning joint stiffness can have a real impact on your life but try not to think of it as something that is holding you back. Instead, take it one day at a time and work with your chiropractor to help reduce the pain and stiffness you experience. If you do all you can to reduce morning stiffness, then it'll be much easier to deal with and your day can start off just a little bit better.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Madison, Wis.